Close-up USA Issued by National Geographic. 1986
Starting with the first map put out in March of 1973, National Geographic produced fifteen maps for the Close-up USA map set. These maps would definitely be of interest to people traveling throughout the United States on vacations. The maps cover fifteen different regions of the USA and are filled with notes and illustrations covering the history, geography and points of interest for the traveler to each region. All maps are dated January 1986 and are coated to protect against rough handling.
1. Close-up USA: The Northwest
- Side A: This beautiful travel map covers the states of Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana and Wyoming. It is filled with notes and information on the history and points of interest of this region. It contains information on tourist activities and annual events held in different parts of these states.
- Side B: Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming: Timber, Cattle and the Mist From the Sea.
- This side has a relief map of the region along with inset maps of Yellowstone and Grand Teton National parks, Glacier National park and Puget Sound. It contains information on these many parks along with each states points of interest and tourist attractions.
2. Close-up USA: California and Nevada
- Side A: This is a beautiful educational map of California and Nevada containing a wealth of travel and tourism information along with an abundance of historical notes. It contains National and state parks, national forest, wildlife refuges, Indian reservations, ski areas, ghosts towns, points of interest, recreational trails, routes of historic trails and wild or scenic rivers.
- Side B: California and Nevada: Storied Realm of Glitter and Greenery
- This side is filled with information on the history, tourist activities and geography of these two beautiful states. It includes an inset map of San Francisco.
3. Close-up USA: The Southwest
- Side A: This informative map includes the states of Utah, Colorado, Arizona and New Mexico. This area includes the breathtaking Rocky Mountains and Sonoran Desert and is filled with informative notes on tourist activities and annual events.
- Side B: Arizona, New Mexico, Utah, Colorado: Surprise and Challenge Amid Sere Beauty.
- This side has an introduction to the region then includes travel articles on each of the states in the region with colorful illustrations. Tourist activities, historical sites, resorts and scenic vistas are featured in these articles.
4. Close-up USA: The North Central States
- Side A: This is a beautiful informative map of North/South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Minnesota, Iowa and Missouri. It has lots of notes on national and state parks, festivals, events and historical points of interest of this region.
- Side B: North/South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri: Open Skies and Rolling Land
- This side highlights the diverse landmarks and landscapes to be found in the region. It has an introduction to the region along with travel articles on each state.
5. Close-up USA: South Central States
- Side A: This informative map covers Arkansas, Oklahoma, Louisiana and Texas. It is filled with notes on tourist destinations along with the history and geography of the region.
- Side B: Arkansas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Texas: Rich Land of the Southern Frontier
- This side contains an introduction to the region along with historical and travel information on each of the four states. Also included are colorful illustrations of the area.
6. Close-up USA: Wisconsin, Michigan and the Great Lakes
- Side A: This is a great informative map of the Wisconsin, Michigan and Great Lakes region of the USA. It is filled with information on tourist activities and points of interest.
- Side B: Wisconsin, Michigan and the Great Lakes: Land Between the Waters
- This side contains an introduction to the area along with travel articles on Wisconsin, Michigan and the Great Lakes. It has insets of the Detroit and St. Clair rivers, St. Mary's river and the Welland Canal along with an illustration of the Great Lakes showing their individual sizes, depths and volumes.
7. Close-up USA: Illinois, Indiana, Ohio and Kentucky
- Side A: This beautiful informative map includes the states Illinois, Indiana, Ohio and Kentucky. It includes lots of notes on the history of this region along with notes on places of interest to the tourist.
- Side B: Illinois, Indiana, Ohio and Kentucky: Heartland Shaped by an Icy Plow. This side has an introduction to the region, then includes articles on each of the four states in this region. These articles have lots of historical information on the states along with lots of useful
- information for the tourist to this region.
8. Close-up USA: The Southeast
- Side A: This informative map covers the states of North/South Carolina, Tennessee, Mississippi, Alabama and Georgia. It contains lots of informative notes on the history of the region along with useful information for the tourist.
- Side B: The Southeast: Piedmont and Plain of Romantic Charm.
- This side has a short intro of the region then contains nice write-ups of each state in the region containing lots of historical and informative information and illustrations of each of these states with the tourist in mind.
9. Close-up USA: Florida
- Side A: This map is filled with historical notes and information about events and sites throughout this state. It shows national parks, national and state forests, state historical and recreational parks, national wildlife refuges, Indian reservations, recreational trails and wild or scenic rivers.
- Side B: Florida, Puerto Rico and US Virgin Islands: Sun, sand and the Tang of Salt Air.
- This side contains historical information and the various tourist activities throughout these three regions. It has inset maps of Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands along with an inset map of Cape Canaveral and the Kennedy Space Center.
10. Close-up USA: Mid Atlantic States
- Side A: This detailed map shows the states of Maryland, Delaware, District of Columbia, Virginia and West Virginia. It has informative notes on the earliest English settlements in North America, along with Revolutionary War and Civil War sites and other tourist destinations.
- Side B: Mid Atlantic States: Beckoning Land Beside Bay and Sea.
- This side has an introduction to the region with lots of colorful illustrations. Then there are overviews of each of the five states in this region with lots of historical and travel information.
11. Close-up USA: The Northeast
- Side A: This informative map includes the states of New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania. It is filled with notes on tourist activities and annual events of the area, and shows national parks, state parks and monuments, wildlife refuges, national forest, Indian reservations, ski areas and more.
- Side B: New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania: Glittering Cities, Lonely Wild Lands.
- This side has an introduction to this region and travel articles on each state in this region. These include details of the cities, seashores, farms, national parks and ski resorts vacationers can enjoy in this region.
12. Close-up USA: Western New England
- Side A: This informative map covers New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut. It is filled with notes on the festivals, events and points of interest in this scenic region.
- Side B: Western New England: Mountains, Seacoasts and a Living Legacy.
- This side highlights the tourist activities, historical sites, resorts and scenic vistas of the region. It starts with an introduction of the region with illustrations, then includes travel articles on each state within this region.
13. Close-up USA: Maine with the Maritime Provinces
- Side A: This is a detailed informative map of Maine, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island. It contains lots of notes on the festivals, events and historic sites of the area.
- Side B: Maine: Sea-swept Coves Beside a Forested Realm.
- This side starts out with an introduction to the region with colorful illustrations, then has travel articles on each state/province. It contains a wealth of information on sites of interest, travel tips and tourist activities throughout the region.
14. Close-up USA:Alaska
- Side A: This informative travel map highlights parks, forests and wildlife refuges, showing existing and proposed sites. It is filled with informative notes on the history and tourist sites of the area.
- Side B: Alaska: Beauty and Beast in a Last Frontier.
- This side is filled with information on the wildlife, sites of interest, and travel options on Alaska including tips on driving there via the Alaskan Highway. It contains information on climate variations, population, glaciers, wildlife and the Aurora Borealis, along with illustrations of wildlife, the aurora borealis, native peoples and more.
15. Close-up USA: Hawaii
- Side A: This is a beautiful informative map of the Hawaiian islands of Hawaii, Kauai, Oahu, Molokai, Lanai, Maui, Nihau and Kahoolawe. This map shows national and state parks, volcanoes and points of interest, along with information on lots of tourist activities and events. It includes an inset map of the state of Hawaii including all the islands in the chain.
- Side B: Hawaii: Beguiling Isles Born of Earth's Torments.
- This side is filled with illustrations of the native plants and animals along with along with information on the cultures, events, tourist attractions and historical information on Hawaii. It includes a map of Southern Oahu showing popular sites like Pearl Harbor and Honolulu.
- A. Hardcover guidebook that includes weather data, mileage data and alphabetic listing of cities and their locations on the included 15 maps.
- B. Plastic distance scale to be used with maps.
- C. Large wall map of the United States (NOTE: All maps are coated to protect against rough handling.
This set is in nearly new condition, with only light surface scratches on the case.
Comes in original plastic case.
This set, as listed will ship via USPS Media Mail anywhere in the USA. USPS advises delivery to take anywhere up to 10 business days. If you would prefer to have this shipped Priority Mail, please contact me first and I will adjust the shipping rate before checkout.
National Geographic Close-up USA Map Box Set 1986 16 Maps with Index https://t.co/yQ8SG7onzn Great Collectible Set! pic.twitter.com/UXTKa2zpdL