Constantinople Pera et Galata Turkish Postcard 1929
In historic documents, Galata is often called Pera, which comes from the old Greek name for the place, Peran en Sykais, literally "the Fig Field on the Other Side."
Galata was a neighborhood opposite Constantinople (today's Istanbul), located at the northern shore of the Golden Horn, the inlet which separates it from the historic peninsula of old Constantinople. The Golden Horn is crossed by several bridges, most notably the Galata Bridge. The medieval citadel of Galata was a colony of the Republic of Genoa between 1273 and 1453. The famous Galata Tower was built by the Genoese in 1348 at the northernmost and highest point of the citadel. At present, Galata is a quarter within the borough of Beyoğlu in Istanbul, and is known as Karaköy.
Stamped and mailed vintage 1929 postcard.
Measures 3 3/8 in x 5 3/8 in.
Circulated Postcard From Large Collection
Any marking or conditions can be clearly seen in the photo's.
All Postcard Images have been scanned.
Any wavy lines or color splotches on cards are scanner induced and not actual.
See card photo's for actual description.
Cards are shipped in cardboard mailers and in cellophane sleeves to protect them.
Browse More Postcards by Category below: